Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 6, 1970

Dearest Jean,

It was one of the first poems I wrote you:
Song of Parting--July 6, 1970
In the river of your memory
A million billion tiny drops
All flowing somewhere
Coming and going
I do not build me as a dam
to turn the tide of that great stream
I do not even hope to change its course.
But I should be happy if
on some sultry day many years from now
The vapors rising from your memory stream
Might form of me one tiny drop
That once again might fall to earth
Once more to flow downstream
Once more to pass before your mind.
I think we had returned from Karen and Rafik's wedding. I knew that my life had become involved with yours, that having a future without you would not be something I could do or imagine.
Thank you for the past 40 years since that humid weekend in SE New York State.
"What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder."
Not even us and our youthful, imperfect ways. Only death shall part us, Jean. And even then, only for a little while.
Thank God for you, Jean!
Love always,
Roger

No comments: