Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It Is Possible


It is possible that our country could be detroyed by war. In fact, I might be able to make a strong case that it already has been.

Read this story and decide if you can write a good ending:



(your words here)


Just take it as a writing assignment first. Then, after you get it written, ask yourself, "How is that going to come about?" Only one rule to this assignment. We don't get to quit without providing an answer.

I began the introduction to my reading at this year's Memorial Day ceremony at the Oregon Vietnam Veterans Living Memorial with these words:


We are here because we remember and because citizenship in this country requires that we own the cost, the conduct and the consequences of war as long as we shall live.


I wonder if anyone else beside me believes this. Any volunteers?

Pray for peace. Then, go out and work for it.

Oh, by the way. The picture collage above? Part of a 4 x 5-foot piece made from 20,000 images taken by Linfield College nursing students on a 2008 trip to Vietnam. I wonder if there will ever be a time when that can be done in Afghanistan?

Amen.




Roger

No comments: