Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!


Dear Dad,


Happy Father's Day! Twenty years ago your tired body was still with us. Your mind sometimes was, but mostly it was far away. In 1989 I was doing my best to run a struggling company, and that wasn't working very well. At all. It was more than 30 miles from home, at least a 45-minute drive one way. Sometimes I drove home at 6 PM. Sometimes at 10 PM. Sometimes at 2 or 3 AM, trying to keep things going.
I had a daughter who didn't see much of me. She was 10 and in need of a Dad. We finally got a little time together in the Three Sisters Wilderness in August 1989. A good time. A much needed time.

I didn't have much time for you. I didn't make the time. And in a few months, just after Christmas, it would be God's time for you. At last you went home to meet your Father face to face.
But you gave me and our family a stable, secure life when I was growing up. We didn't lack for home, food, shelter, work, education, clothing or parents who were always there, even if tired. I didn't thank you enough. I never could. Thanks for all you gave, mostly thanks for you and for loving Mom and being so faithful to all of us.

I know it has shaped the father that I am and have been for 30 years now. Thank you, Dad. God's blessings be upon you for eternity. Someday we shall embrace again.

Love,

Roger

No comments: